At Gila Regional, it is our belief that childbirth is one of the most important life events, and we recognize the role of the family during this joyful time.
GRMCs Maternal/Child Department provides outpatient and inpatient services to women during pregnancy, the labor and delivery
process, and the immediate post partum period. Newborn care is provided in the normal newborn nursery and the mother's room.
Rooming in of the newborn is encouraged to promote bonding and successful initiation of breastfeeding. Our Level 2 nursery provides care to babies who require a higher level of care such as oxygen or antibiotic therapy.
The maternal child team consists of RNs and Perinatal Techs who have been specially trained to work in these areas. Our caregivers have an average of ten years of experience in low and high risk pregnancies and newborns.
The main department phone number is 575/538-4010. Our Lactation Consultant can be contacted at
Gila Regional is a Certified Baby-Friendly® Birthing Facility
GRMC Baby-Friendly® Hospital Policy
Baby-Friendly® Steps Flyers
- Outpatient testing may be done in either the Labor/Delivery area, Ultrasound or the Laboratory.
Classes are offered on Monday and Tuesday evenings with a new series beginning monthly. The classes offered are a 5 week series focusing on late pregnancy, and labor, birth, and breastfeeding preparation.
Call 575-538-4194 for more information or to register for classes.
Other Education Topics available on request are Planned Cesarean Births, Preparing Siblings for New Baby, What Grandparents Want to Know, and Breastfeeding Mothers Returning to Work. Call 575-538-4194.
- Visitors in Labor and Delivery. Although we encourage the participation of family in the birthing process the size of our rooms necessitates the restriction of visitors to three at a time in the Labor and Delivery. This assures that our staff is able to provide a safe environment for both mom and baby.
- Family Time. Because new families need time to rest, recuperate and bond, 1 to 4 p.m. each day is reserved as Family Time. We discourage visitors during these hours and encourage families to focus on their needs as a new family.
- Family Waiting Room is available immediately outside of labor and delivery.
- Baby photo and CD program. Baby pictures are taken by the Maternal Child Caregivers during your stay. If you would like to have your baby photographed in a special outfit, please feel free to bring it to the hospital. You will be given one printed picture and the remaining pictures will be put on a CD and given to you free of charge.
- Individualized one-on-one education on caring for yourself and your baby will be provided by the Maternal Child Nurses and Lactation Consultants.
- New Life Program provides a special meal for mom and one other person of her choice during her postpartum stay.
- Mom & Me Parenting and Breastfeeding Support is your chance to email questions, meet other Moms & babies, and share experiences.
- Lactation Room is available to GRMC caregivers returning to work as well as to mothers of newborns who must remain in the hospital after mom is discharged.
RN Home Visits are available to all first time moms through
First Born Program and to all other moms through coordination of the First Born Program and GRMC's Parent Education Department
Daddy & Me Classes through
First Born Program are available to all Dads.