At Gila Regional, it is our belief that childbirth is one of the most important life events, and we recognize the role of the family during this joyful time.
GRMCs Maternal/Child Department provides outpatient and inpatient services to women during pregnancy, the labor and delivery
process, and the immediate postpartum period. Newborn care is provided in the normal newborn nursery and the mother's room.
Rooming in of the newborn is encouraged to promote bonding and successful initiation of breastfeeding. Our Level 2 nursery provides care to babies who require a higher level of care such as oxygen or antibiotic therapy.
The maternal child team consists of RNs and Perinatal Techs who have been specially trained to work in these areas. Our caregivers have an average of ten years of experience in low and high risk pregnancies and newborns.
The main department phone number is 575/538-4010. Our Lactation Consultant can be contacted at
Before Giving Birth...
- Outpatient testing may be done in either the Labor/Delivery area, Ultrasound or the Laboratory.
Classes are offered periodically. The classes offered are a 5 week series focusing on late pregnancy, and labor, birth, and breastfeeding preparation.
Call (575) 538-4194 or (575) 313-5817 for more information or to register for classes.
Individualized Lactation Visits are available prenatally.Call (575) 538-4876
At the Hospital...
- Visitors in Labor and Delivery. We encourage family support while at Gila Regional, but please limit your visitors to three (3) at a time for the safety of both Mom and Baby during the birthing process in Labor and Delivery.
- Family Waiting Room is available immediately outside of labor and delivery.
- Individualized one-on-one education on caring for yourself and your baby will be provided by the Maternal Child Nurses and Lactation Consultants.
Once You are Home...
- Mom & Baby Parenting and Breastfeeding Support is your chance to email questions, meet other Moms & babies, and share experiences.
- Lactation Room is available to GRMC caregivers returning to work as well as to mothers of newborns who must remain in the hospital after mom is discharged.
RN Home Visits are available to all first time moms who reside in Grant County through the
First Born Program.
- Lactation Services are available at Gila Regional Medical Center
Fatherhood Services are available through the
First Born Program.
Gila Regional is a
Certified Baby-Friendly® Birthing Facility
Risks of Not Breastfeeding
CLICK HERE to Watch the Video
CLICK HERE to Download the Information Sheet
Mom & Baby Support
Ask a lactation consultant a question
To e-mail us your questions and concerns CLICK HERE and one of our lactation consultants will reply.
E-mail questions are generally answered within 2 business days. When emailing questions, please include your county, phone number, and email.
Mom & Baby Support will:
- Answer your breastfeeding-related questions or concerns
- Refer you to a mother-baby gathering.
- Refer you to a lactation consultant for more serious breastfeeding concerns
Attend a Group Meeting
For Information about gatherings and additional support Call 575-538-4676 or send us an
Gila Regional Medical Center lactation consultants are available by appointment.
If you need immediate assistance call (do not e-mail) 575-538-4676 or 575-538-4025.
If you have a medical emergency, call 911 for immediate assistance.
This site is provided without charge for general informational purposes only. It is important to know that this site is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical care, condition, or treatment. Read Disclaimer.
Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical care because of something you have read on this site. If you think you might have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately!