Your Choice For

Patient-Centered Care

Health Insurance Exchange for New Mexicans

Centennial Care

Centennial Care is the new name of the New Mexico Medicaid program. Click here to visit the Centennial Care web site.

New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange

The New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange (NMHIX) is here to give you access to quality health care like never before. We were created to cover the uninsured, people who can’t afford their employer plans and those buying their own insurance but want better options. We are also able to provide new coverage options to owners of small businesses with 50 employees or fewer. We offer a variety of health insurance plans from such popular commercial providers as Blue Cross Blue Shield, Molina, New Mexico Health Connections and Presbyterian. Click here to visit the New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange web site.

Public Access Computer Locations

  • Bayard Public Library
    1120 Central Avenue, Bayard
  • New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions
    410 W. Broadway, Silver City
  • Silver City Public Library
    515 W. College Avenue, Silver City
  • HMS Silver City Senior Center (senior use only)
    205 W. Victoria Street, Silver City
  • WNMU Miller Library (students come first)
    1000 W. College Avenue, Silver City
  • WNMU Watts Hall (students come first)
    Corner of Swan Street & Highway 180, Silver City

Terms & Definitions for Healthcare Insurance

source link

The deductible is the dollar amount you must pay for health care before your health plan's benefit kick in. When purchasing coverage, you select the deductible amount you wish to pay; for instance, $2,500 , $5,000, $7,500 or $10,000. Your monthly premium does not contribute toward this amount.
A copay is the flat fee consumers may pay for medical treatments and services. These vary by plan design and often include separate copays for physician office visits, prescription drugs, ER visits, surgical services and hospital confinement. You must typically pay your copay up front, at the time medical care is received. The amount will likely be printed on your insurance card. For instance, if your physician office visit copay is $10, then you will pay $10 every time you go to the doctor. You will still be responsible for your deductible and coninsurance, as wll as any additional out-of-pocket expenses, once services have been billed.
The percentage of meical costs you owe once the insurance company covers its share. This typically kicks in once the consumer's deductible has been met. If the insurance company pays 80 percent for covered care, then the consumer will pay the remaining balance -- 20 percent. When it comes to coninsurance, the dollar amount you owe will vary because medical bills vary. The patient is often charged after the insurance company has paid its portion.